FOOTBALL WORLD

maandag 4 juli 2011

Roberto Di Matteo happy to be No2 to André Villas-Boas at Chelsea


Roberto Di Matteo, left, believes his experience as a manager will help him in assisting Chelsea's André Villas-Boas.

Roberto Di Matteo has said he will have no problems working as a No2 to the new Chelsea manager, André Villas‑Boas.
The Italian, who was dismissed by West Bromwich Albion in February despite having won promotion the previous season, was unveiled on Monday as part of the new back-room staff at Stamford Bridge, where he spent six successful years as a player before injury forced him to retire in 2002.
Di Matteo, however, insists he will have no difficulties making the transition back to an assistant's role. "It is obviously a challenge for me but I don't anticipate any problems," Di Matteo said. "I have got experience of being a manager, I know what it is like, and I know what it is to be a coach, so I have a bit of both and I am there to support André and any of the staff, to give what it takes for us to be successful. That's the ultimate challenge."
Di Matteo admitted it was an unexpected opportunity. "His call came a bit out of the blue to be honest," said the 41-year-old, who also had an impressive stint as MK Dons manager. "It is mostly based on the fact that he likes my football philosophy and that is why he wants me to be part of his team. I think he likes to play football and be positive and attacking and over the years if you have seen a game or two of the teams I coached I think we played the same way.
"I liked my teams to try and win games rather than not lose, to build, to pass. He is going to be in charge of it and we are going to be working the way he thinks is the right way to be successful."
Chelsea players will return to Cobham for the start of pre-season training this week, with Villas-Boas maintaining there would be no immediate transfers or new arrivals until he had time to fully assess the current group.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten