FOOTBALL WORLD

dinsdag 22 mei 2012

Mourinho: First coach to win the league title in Spain, Italy and England

Mourinho is the fourth manager to win four different league championships in Europe and the fifth in the world to win leagues in at least four different countries

Athletic de Bilbao - Real Madrid

Jose Mourinho is the first Portuguese coach to win La Liga, the fourth manager to win four different league championships in Europe, and the fifth in the world to win league tournaments in at least four different countries.

"I had several objectives when I started training," said Mourinho upon arriving in Madrid close to two years ago, "I wanted to win the Champions League with three different clubs. Ernst Happel, Ottmat Hitzfeld and I have won the title with two different teams. Happel has passed away and Hitzfeld will retire soon, but I still have many years ahead of me. I also want to be the first to win the three main league championships in the world: La Liga, the Premier League and the Serie A. Fabio Capello has won in Italy and Spain, Ancelotti in England and Italy, and I've won in England and Italy. Capello won't be able to do so unless he goes back to club coaching, which he says he won't do. I guess it's up to Carlo and I, and I don't know if it is also one of Carlo's objectives. I want all three."

Well, he's managed to do this last thing, and the above words prove just how wimportant it was for him to win La Liga.


Mourinho is the second coach to win the league title with Real Madrid in his second full campaign on the team. He was preceded by Lippo Hertzka, who did so in 1932 without losing a single match.

Mourinho is, with Ernst Happel (who won in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Austria) and Trapattoni (Italy, Germany, Portugal, Austria), the third coach with four different league titles. Only Bela Guttman (Hungary, Italy, Brazil, Portugal, Uruguay) and Tomislav Ivic (Yugoslavia, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, France) have won in more countries.


Source: realmadrid.com





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten